Sunday 12 April 2015

Joseph Smith, an Instrument in the Hands of the Lord

Todays lesson was taken from The Teachings of President Ezra Taft Benson, Chapter 7.

During President Benson's mission in Northern England he was invited to speak to a group of investigator's at the local chapel.  He decided to speak about the apostasy and prepared a 15 minute talk.  He said: "When I sat down and looked at my watch, I had talked 25 minutes and I hadn't mentioned the apostasy, I hadn't even thought of the apostasy.  I had talked about Joseph Smith and I had borne witness that he was a prophet of God and I knew it.  I told about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon as a new witness of Christ and I had borne testimony.  When I realized what had happened, I couldn't hold back the tears.

Take a moment to watch this short, but wonderful video on Joseph Smith and note what the Spirit whispers to you about this great man:


We have much to be grateful to Joseph Smith for.

1. The First Vision - "it is a message and a revelation intended for all of our Father's children living upon the face of the earth.  It was the greatest event that has ever happened in this world since the resurrection of the Master. Sometimes I think we are so close to it that we don't fully appreciate it's significance and importance and the magnitude of it."

2. The bringing forth of the Book of Mormon - "the major purpose of the record is to convince a later generation that Jesus if the Christ, the Son of God...If the Book of Mormon is true, then Jesus is the Christ, Joseph Smith was His prophet, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true and it is being led today by a prophet receiving revelation."

3. God established the Kingdom on earth through Joseph Smith

President Benson testified of Joseph Smith: "His mission had had, and was to have, impact on all who had come to earth, all who then dwelt on earth and the millions yet unborn.  I testify to you that Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God, one of the truly great prophets of all time, a man of destiny, a man of character, a man of courage, a man of deep spirituality, a God-like prophet of the Lord, a truly noble and great one of all time."

No comments:

Post a Comment